Me and 80+ blog buddies got together to bring you 80+ DIY Halloween costumes, including these Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle costumes I made for my niece and nephew! I'm teaming up with Jamie Dorobek and her handmade Halloween costume site, Really Awesome Costumes to bring y'all tons of easy ideas to craft up DIY Halloween costumes for everyone including your pets, family costumes, and even a trunk or treat idea!
Are these not the cutest little Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles you've ever seen?! My niece was especially pleased with her costume – she wouldn't stopping grinning the whole time!!
Along with my Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles costume, I'm sharing 88+ more really awesome handmade costume ideas from talented bloggers everywhere! I'm so honored to be on this hop. Jamie Dorobek of C.R.A.F.T did an amazing job organizing this – it's incredible!
Why make a costume when you can just buy one for $20? Well, making costumes is fun but here are the reasons I would rather make costumes:
- Handmade costumes usually don't fall apart as quickly as store bought costumes
- Handmade costumes are typically warmer to wear – with the really cold temps here in the fall, we usually have to wear sweatpants under the store bought costumes
- Handmade costumes make more memories – the kids can help you make them and they remember those handmade costumes for years.
That's why, when my sister said that 2 of her 4 kids wanted to be Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I knew what I had to do! The kids totally enjoyed the process as well, as you can see in the video. So, without further ado, here's how to make a DIY Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles costume for about $20!
HERE ARE SOME OF THE SUPPLIES YOU’LL NEED TO MAKE YOUR VERY OWN TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES COSTUMES:
- Jacquard Lumiere Artist Acrylics metallic olive green
- Royal Solid Techno Double Knit Fabric
- Sewing Machine
- Basketweave Upholstery Tan Fabric
- Glue Gun
- Stapler for Artwork
- Gold Tone Metallic Round Shaped Eyelet Grommet for Paper
- Manhattan Portage Kids' Backpack
- Fleece Pants
- Craft Self Healing Mat
- Foam Board
- Cotton Cappuccino Brown Fabric
- Brown Fun Foam
- Dry Adhesive Tacky Tape
- Crop-A-Dile Eyelet and Snap Punch
- Seam Ripper
- Quick Dry Fabric Fusion Permanent Adhesive
- Angle Fabric Paintbrushes
- Hobby Knife
- Super Tip Opaque Paint Marker
- Non-Stick Bent Scissor
- Soleplate Steam Iron
- Magic Fabric Spray
Most of these links go to amazon because it’s just so convenient to order from them. You’ll be ready to start making your TMNT costumes in no time!
Non-store bought supplies: 3 pairs of old socks
And now it's time for tons more DIY Halloween costume inspiration! Join in on the BLOG HOP! Click on the links below each collage to get the detailed instructions about how to make the costume pictured, just like mine above. Don't forget to follow the Handmade Halloween Costumes Pinterest Board for even more DIY costume greatness!
10. Marty McFly
27. Elsa crown
36. DIY Cat Costume
41. DIY No Sew Maleficent Costume
58. Elephant and Piggie Halloween Costumes
61. Wildstyle Costume from the Lego Movie
70. DIY Skunk Mask
What handmade costume ideas did you love the most?! Be sure to click over to get the costume instructions, pin the costume, and let them know you love it! Also, follow the Handmade Halloween Costume board on Pinterest!
Keep up with our crafty adventures by subscribing to the Hydrangea Hippo Crafty Newsletter.